I did it. I ran (well technically ran/walk) a 15k today at 28.5 week/6.5 months pregnant. It sounded like a much better idea before I actually did it - most things I come up with are like that though :). The first mile is always awful. Things got better after that till I had to stop at a port-o-potty and wait in line to go - by the time I finished and got back on the road, the pace car that picks you up if you can't maintain the required time limit was on my behind. Talk about motivation to move!! I had to book it to make up time and put some distance between me and them.
About mile 5 I was trying to think who I knew lived in that area and if I could just run to their house and have them bring me home. Good thing I didn't because around mile 5.5 I hear little screams of "MOM!" and looked over to see Micah and the kids running towards me. I just burst into tears crying - I was so surprised and happy to see them on top of being tired and extra hormones. Brock ran the rest of the street with me till I had to turn the corner and he had to wait for his daddy. Thank goodness Micah had parked a ways away or I might have just had him take me home right then!!
Mile 6-7 was horrible - I had a weird cramp/pain in my stomach that wouldn't go away. I finally just pushed through it and ran without stopping for my usual timed walk breaks and praise God because it went away and I actually felt better running than walking - so I just ran as long as I could. Mile 7-8 was fantastic. There was a breeze and I was on the home stretch. Funny how quick that changed because by mile 8 the sun was out, it was hot, and I was once again scheming on how I could cut through the park and rejoin the race just before the finish line - who would know I didn't actually run that last mile, right?!
But I made it. I rounded the corner, saw the mile 9 time and knew I had 0.3 miles to go. I could see the finish line ahead and knew Micah and my 3 kids would be there to cheer me out - I had to finish at that point. Brock met me again with about 0.05 miles to go and held my hand as we ran the last little bit and crossed the finish line together. Once again, I just burst into tears. Mostly from pure joy at what I had accomplished, some from pain and some from again wondering why in the world I had thought this was a good idea.
As I type from my couch since I can barely move at this point - I am overwhelmed and humbled by how much my Heavenly Father continues to bless me. To have a supportive husband and kids that were so excited to cheer me on. For the breeze and overcast weather that was actually enjoyable. For the moments were I ran to a praise and worship song and just realized how truly good He is. All of these things just bring me to tears of thankfulness - and I don't think that is from hormones.
I think I will keep it short and sweet on any future runs during the rest of this pregnancy and you may see me wearing my medal around town until I have this baby - just to show that, while it wasn't pretty, I still finished it!
No comments:
Post a Comment